Friday, November 9, 2007

Straight from the 70's

So a few months ago my sister Emily, to all our delight, got her crafty hands on some old vintage patterns. She got them from an older woman in her ward, I think, and they range from the 1950's to the 80's, if I'm not mistaken. I could be. But bottom line, they are an absolute treasure. TREASURE. So while perusing the goods I was enchanted by this pattern. I love the high waste and A-line. I love the whole look! I even dig the girl's hair.

So I knew this dress had to be mine. I bought the material, and went for a really textured, thicker weave. The buttons are from a big bag of buttons from an antique store. Isn't a charm? It was so easy! I sewed in just one night. Well, I did stay up a wee bit late, but even so. It was a quicky. Funny though, the pattern is a size 10, which would normally be my size, but the measurements were WAY tiny. Like, I'm talking probably a size 6 now a days. So probably the hardest part of the whole thing was making the pattern bigger, and in the end, I ended up having to take it all in, cause it was huge. So...I'm still kinda confused about how that worked out. But for any of you who want to sew, but don't--START! Sewing is super fun, and really it isn't hard. Just find someone who can show you the ropes at first. Then you too can have a fun 1970's jumper. I know you want one.


P.S. Thank you Cammie Nebeker for being my sewing mentor back in my 4-H days O' Love.

10 comments:

Super B said...

mim, i MUST say...YOU LOOK SO GOOD!!! SO GOOD!!! just SO GOOD!!
love the jumper too. I have about 10 patterns in one of my many crafting totes and have yet to make anything. I have managed to make a few skirts that I love, but I have one pattern in particular that is a maternity shirt and skirt one that i need to work on...soon!!

anyhow, love you, love your blog, love your craftiness!
and love your shoes.

Barrettes and Bows said...

WOW MIM... I am impressed. I too had Cammie Nebeker for a coach..however, the only thing I ever created were a pair of flannel shorts...they were fugly..and some how I managed to sew the crotch together wrong. It went all the way down to my knee caps. It was the night before the fair, Eirene and I were supposed to model our creations.Of course there was no time to fix it so I just rolled up the waist band. I asked Eirene if you could tell that I had a huge bulge around my waist section. Good ole' rene..she said "yes." Needless to say..I didn't win anything.And from then on I knew that I could count on Eirene to tell the truth at ALL times..she never let me down.

Miriam said...

Hey, Audra, I have TOTALLY sewn the crotch wrong in flannel pants before. There is still hope of recovery.

Lacey said...

Ah yes, the days of sewing with Cammie Nebeker. I'm with Audra though--my only creation was a crappy crappy vest with very ugly strawberry/blue checked material. I guess we Morrill girls just don't have the sewing gene.
I am envious that so much craftiness resides in your ten little fingers.

The Brandleys said...

Fabulous! you look hot as usual!!

M-Ware said...

i love the up close and personal bust shot. but guess what! i have just learned to sew myself and you are so right! just get someone to help you and you are on your way to success. i LOVE your jumper. especially how you're wearing it with the leggins and all. i just can't keep up with your cool style. i thought the girl on that pattern was seriously emily. anyway, very proud of ya. OH and can i say i laughed my freaking head off at that halloween post. i truly do have alzheimers because i completely forgot how much fun we used to have on halloween. i'm glad you had a fun party. that's the thing with halloween. it always takes a special effort to dress up but you never regret it cuz you end up having a silly night. remember kyle in the sister missionary costume?? wait. you were on your mission. well. he wore a green skirt and suit jacket with a badge and we got kicked out of the byu dance after awhile. no cross dressing aloud. who knew?

Marilee Leishman said...

That is such a flattering little dress. You even look like the girl in the picture. Wow, I want to be you! Someday, when I get a sewing machine maybe I can try.
By the way, Thank you so much for the HOOTER Hider. I love it. It's dang cute and VERY useful. I'm excited to use it during the holidays when I'm going to be around a lot of people. LOVE U

Fig said...

I totally want to sew. But I don't have the mad skills like you, I think. Maybe I'll try it anyway.
The buttons make the dress! (not that the dress isn't made anyway, 'cause it is. I love it)

Ann said...

The dress looks good, and you look even better, mim! I have loved all of your posts. They are so fun to read. I'm glad you guys got to come visit us for halloween as kids. That was super fun. I hope I get to see you guys soon!

Super B said...

ok, I love your new blog layout. I am feeling that I need to do something new as well...maybe one of these days!!