Monday, August 20, 2007

Congraduations!

"Congraduations!" my mom said to me last Friday. Everyone knows that the greatest compliment one can pay is to repeat something you've said to others. I've already repeated this clever salutation several times as occasion requires, and with great results, I might add. (p.s. Eirene read this and informed me that I had spelled congratulations wrong. It's a pun, guys...get it? Graduation?? Congraduation??)

So, I finally finished.

You might wonder to yourself that "my goodness, it has been nearly seven years since she graduated (or...left) highschool!" True, true. But in my defense I did take two years off for the mission, so it was merely a healthy five-year graduation plan. I won't mention that I spent more than one summer cramming in more school, to "speed-up the process." I will also not mention (or dwell on) the fact that I began in English, switched to Music, dabbled in Interior Design, experimented with Communications, bored myself to tears for an entire semester in *Therapeutic Recreation of all things, and then faced the inevitable, and realized that my home was, and always will be, in English.

Ah, yes...English. The major that homes the eccentric, the eclectic, the impractical, the analytical, the wanderers, the rebels, the pre-law students, and me. I've always felt myself to be on the outside of this deep, brooding community of students; I yearned to banter as they did, to extract absurd and/or insightful meanings from the texts, to confidently throw around literary terms terms such as "farce," "nemesis," "hyperbole," and the like. I was intimidated by the depth I could never quite penetrate. Until of course, I committed myself to join them. When I finally stopped fooling around and embraced my inner English Major, I settled in comfortably with the "impenetrable" crowd. My last year was spent making up for the lost time; I bantered triumphantly with the best of them. One of my professors (I won't publish his name to protect his BYU behind) affectionately called me a smart *ss.

So I may not really know what I want to be when I grow up... I may not really have any marketable skills... I may even take a job that pays 8.00 dollars an hour and has nothing to do with my major...

But dang-it, I enjoyed every minute of my education.


*I do NOT wish to offend any of you who are affiliated with Therapeutic Recreation. It is by all accounts very respectable, and for the many compelling reasons I was drawn to it. I was, unfortunately, hypnotized by the mission into believing that I had the enthusiasm and compassion that would naturally be required to excel in that major, hence the hasty return to English.





10 comments:

Audra said...

Congrats Mim,
your baby is beautiful...your husband is handsome..and you have a college education. Life sounds pretty good. Tell your dang old sister to email me back or pick up the phone and give me a call eh? Your beautiful and I read your blog regularly...keep up the good work.

Ann said...

Congraduations, Mim! I am so happy for you. Yes, the education is worth it, and I'm sure English was a great final pick for you because you are a great writer... You look beautiful in your pictures, too!

Ann said...

P.S.

Eirene's hair looks great and I am not surprised. You have always done good work!

Marilee Leishman said...

Congraduations! You are amazing.
Cute family!

Super B said...

that is super that you graduated. It only took Russell like 7 years to do it, so I understand where you are coming from.
Hey is that Charlie in the picture with you? how is he?
You look great and I am so happy for you.
much love...
b

M-Ware said...

you look so lovely in a cap and gown. with diploma, husband and baby in tow you have officially made it. congrads! did you ever go back and walk for h.s. graduation? i remember there being some turmoil over that...can't remember...anyway, nice job on eirene's hair. and have you chopped yours yet?

The Brandleys said...

Very nice! way to graduate, maybe now that we're heading back to Idaho I might consider that! Oh and if you send us pics of your family, Matt would be happy to make you guys into the simpsons! we just need one of each of you and you need to be facing the camera head on. if you want just send them to my email! Your family just gets cuter every time i check your blog!

Rebecca said...

Hey Mim,
It was so cool to read your comment on our blog. I feel like I know you too. First off, congrats on graduating, I don't know how the heck you did it with a new born baby, speaking of, your baby is so cute. So Julianna is getting married the day after tomorrow, my fam and I are flying to Idaho tomorrow. So I still haven't met the famous Alan. I will let you know how it all turns out. I'm assuming you can't make the wedding. Well do you talk to Julianna often? I am glad you saw my blog, you look great by the way! Oh by the way my husband was friends with Martha and Carrie up at BYU. Small world indeed. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

MIM! Oh my HECK!!!!!! It's you, it's really YOU! Dude, how did I even find you? I have no idea....weird. I don't even know where I started, but I clicked through several blogs, and then there you were!

So anyway, back to the original blog at hand. Congrats on graduating! What a feat, eh!? I'm still trecking through...have had a little (ok, 3 year) break, but I am ready to get back down to business...well, AFTER this semester. :) Life has just had more important priorities.

I don't have a blog. Soooo, how can I keep in contact with you? I received your thank you note, yes I did. I've since had the intention of writing back, because I had no other means of contact with you, but you know.....

oh and most importantly, a BABY! And a baby girl at that! What a blessed woman you are! SO wild about you 3 having them as you did! That's going to be such a delight, growing them up together.

Life is Beautiful.

Miriam said...

Megan!! I was sooo excited to find your comment! I have been wanting to talk to you for so long! If you happen to check back here, and read this, my email is mediumladuh@yahoo.com. My parents are moving from Roosevelt, so we have to see eachother before they go. I think my little bro is having his not-a-farewell in September. Can I visit??!