Friday, December 5, 2008

AHHHH!!! It is FINALLY Christmas!!!

I've had a skip in my step ever since we put up our tree. I don't know what it is. Actually, I know EXACTLY what it is. It's the smell of the pine, and my clean house, and the way my ornaments actually dangle from the bows, instead of just resting on the branch. It's my little birdy ornaments, and the bright colored wool balls, and my Christmas tree skirt, and the MAGIC of the lights...

Allan says he doesn't understand my fetish/obsession/utter delight with Christmas Trees, (especially our tree this year) but you know what? He digs it. It's mysterious to him, and I think he likes it when I bring a pillow and blanket out and just lie next to it like a seven-year-old. I think he thinks it's really weird and a little bit cute.

Here's the Christmas tree skirt I just made. I sort of made it up as I went, and used what fabric I already had. Aren't the pom poms cheery?




Ok, and here's my new ornaments. I saw some similar ones at Ikea, and I just recreated these from some craft wood at Jo-Anns. They were really a pain in the elbow to make, but I love how they turned out. I made some in green too, but I forgot to take a picture. You get the idea.



I tried to use a method of wet felting on these ornaments, but it really just didn't work like I thought. I ended up giving them all a glue bath. I think the effect is the same in the end--I love the vibrant colors! I made them in this turquoise, periwinkel, red, orange, purple and yellow. And also I made this wallet cause I wanted to. Isn't that selfish of me to make something for myself during Christmas season? Yeah, I thought so too. I had to though. This fabric forced my hand. I found it at an estate sale, and well, you know...I really had no choice. I found the tutorial here, but I added a coin purse instead of the middle section of card holders. A significant improvement, I think.

And, funny story, I went up to my mom and dad's for Thanksgiving, and forgot to bring Sundy clothes. What I did remember to bring was stuff to make a dress. I had seen this picture in a book at the library (I wish I could show you), of this SUPER cute maternity dress on some really cute short-haired woman from the 1960's. And then I found the perfect pale pink linen-y fabric at DI for $4 bucks, and decided to bring the stuff up there just in case there was a boring moment. There was NOT a boring moment, but nevertheless I say unto you that I was FORCED to make it before Sundy, which was incredibly challenging considering there were 7 kids ages 4 and under running around. I definitely had something in mind when I started, but it kind of evolved as I went along. That's a good thing, because at one point it really looked like a 5-year old's birthday party dress in 1984. I didn't get to the sleeves done yet because a) it was ridiculously late, and 2) I can't decide what kind of sleeves really fit this dress. Any ideas? Puff? Puffed capped? Just capped?
Ok, I all the sudden got really tired. Good night, ya'll. I think I'll curl up by my Christmas tree.

17 comments:

Angela said...

I hope you're doing alright! I wonder what Ahhh! It means!

Maren said...

Holy shnikees you are talented! I am in love with your tree skirt. It looks very anthropologie, but even better because it is one of a kind.

Jenny Hansen Lane said...

As an Art Major I remind myself often but I wanted you to know that it wasn't selfish of you to make a clutch wallet for yourself.
1- It's a fact we spend much of our lives in lines. and most of that time is people watching which includes studying details (for us women)...i.e. shoes, handbags,,hair pins..ect
2- Creativity speaks in it's own voice. You cant and shouldn't contain it's life through thoughts only! Flesh those puppies out!
Therefore I have come to the conclusion that
People need eye candy and I think it was a thoughtful service opportunity for you to share your talent!

Shanna said...

Wow you are amazing! It all looks so great! And I love laying by the Christmas tree and looking at the lights too! :)

The Brandleys said...

Oh my goodness, You were just talking about those bird ornaments and now they're made?! You are one motivated girl, seriously. It was so nice to see you.

Ben and Eirene said...

okay, so the birds turned out amazing!! way cuter than ikea's shabby effort. I congratulate you, and commend you. You are a genius.

M-Ware said...

i say capped cuz i want to keep the attention on the buttons, neckline and bubble skirt (is that a bubble skirt?) and not the sleeves.

i LOVE your homemade christmas decor. brilliant as always, especially those felt ornaments.

are you showing yet? i am just a bit. can't wait to really just get it out there! woo!

Heather E. said...

Leg-o-mutton! really, i just wanted to say that.

Ann said...

mim, you never cease to amaze me. And can you give us a pic of your whole tree? I want to see everything!

LeAnne said...

That tree skirt is to die for! You amaze me!!!! Oh...ps...I hope you guys end up at U of M. Crossing all my fingers and toes!

Rach said...

I hope you don't mind that I show everyone your blog and proudly announce that you are MY sewing teacher.

Rob and Marseille said...

what about 3 quarter length sleeves? Beth made me a maternity dress that has 3 quarter length sleeves and it's great!

The Piersons said...

I love that dress and everything else. You did a great job!!

I hate that we didn't get to see y'all. I was like Aaron see they got sick anyway, they never would've known they got it from us. :)

So when are we going to see pictures of this growing belly?

Jules and Allan said...

Mim, you are awesome! You are so talented. I wish I could just create cute clothes. I'm way jealous. Love you!

Super B said...

You never cease to amaze me with your amazing talent and abilities!!
love you. miss you.

Quinn said...

you are super adorable Mim!! That's all I have to say, you're just freakin' adorable!!

Emily said...

Love your wallet Mimmy! The tree skirt and ornaments sure turned out charming!