Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Now when I sit down to sew...

I have a lovely little corner of art to serve as my muse. When I rearranged my living room, I created a little nook for my sewing stuff. I bought a desk, and gathered a few paintings and photos of all things sewing. I also created a few pieces myself! Very tactile. Here are a few of the pictures:

I cut these gems from old vintage patterns, and then modge podged it all on blank canvases.


This is by Edouard Vuillard, and I LOVE the detail in her dress. His mother was a dressmaker (the woman is his mother), and he grew up around his sisters and mother SEWING.


Mary Cassatt. Growing up, we had an art history book that had several of her paintings including this one, and so she's always been a favorite. I love how the little girl is just chilling with the mother. That's just like Josie. Sometimes she just stands behind me on my chair while I sew. She's always near me, whatever she's doing.

I love this painting by Edward Hopper for two reasons: Firstly, the vibrant reddish orange color that makes you feel the warmth of all that light shining the through the window. Secondly, doesn't it look like she was getting dressed, but then she noticed something that needed altering on her dress and so she skipped over to her sewing nook to fix it before her she got dressed? Many a Sunday morning can I be found at the sewing machine fixing something real quick--

PS I'll take a picture of the desk plus art when I finish the desk...

4 comments:

Super B said...

It goes without saying that you have once again blown my socks off. You have once again, proven to me that you are something more than crafty...

love it.
love you.

Rach said...

Oooooh, I love it!! Now you will feel much more inspired when you sit down to sew!

M-Ware said...

A sewing corner of inspiration! I love it! You are TRULY Korinne's daughter. I can't even believe it. I have such little interest in sewing I wonder sometimes if she should just disown me and adopt you.

Can't wait to see the desk!

Carrie said...

Love the heck out of your sewing corner. Isn't sewing cozy? I am loving it these days... but I could use a lesson or two about putting in a zipper and doing more textiles things. I just do craft sewing. Look at you! I love your paintings and creations.