Friday, September 12, 2008

Who needs Target?

Not me.

I take that back immediately. EVERYONE needs Target. But what I meant to say, is sometimes, when you're poor, but REALLY sick of the baby-doll style shirts that you're STILL wearing from the pregnancy of your first-born, and simply have to have SOMETHING new, you can look at Wal-mart's dollar fabric and find some fun knits, and whip up some shirts for you and said first-born.

That's exactly what I did. It opened a whole new world to me to. And I'm talking a WHOLE new world......a dazzling place I never knew.....
that now I can make myself tee's, and don't have to depend on Target for my future staples.

I had a lot of fun designing these too, I just made up the pattern as I went---snip, snip, snip, and then razzledazzle boom, I had a couple new shirts. I'm excited to make more.

PS> have I mentioned how I've been pretty much sewing without a pattern for a while now? It's so liberating! It's so fun to go to Forever 21 just to shop for ideas. Well, I should clarify. I make my own. MOST of the time I draw out the pattern first on my examination-table paper. It's only been these last few months that I just lay out the fabric and go for the gold. Eirene's always done it that way, and for that I solute her.

Anyway, here they are:
Can you see the neck detail? It's like....a sun.

Here are some other things I've sewed lately--I never know if I'm boring you all with things I sew...?





But, I'm kinda sick of sewing. I'm gonna get back into my quilt. I want to get it done sometime before I'm dead. It's real fresh, isn't it?
Here's some of my fabrics....mmmmm...
So yeah. Hey, I do other stuff too, guys...
I read and stuff....
and you know, other mom stuff...

Lay off me, I'm starving.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have to say I am VERY impressed. That is a real talent. You should think about marketing it (unless you already do.) You could make some serious money with your creative ideas and mad skills.

Love, your anon. blog stalker! :) Don't worry, I'm nice.

Miriam said...

Wow, I have to admit I'm way flattered to have a stalker! I have thought about marketing some things, but the trouble is, I don't know how! AND, I don't know that I would consistently have the time to produce enough merchandise for a shop or something. Maybe I'll figure it out someday! Thanks for the positive feedback!

Angela said...

Good job, Miriam! Those look adorable. I'm always amazed when people have sewing talent--it's never really been a "good thing" for me! Besides basic mending and making pillows or levi quilts I steer FAR from sewing. I'm awful at it. I love the matching shirt with Josie. So cute!

Super B said...

Oh my goodness. You blow me away. I love your shirts and Josie's shirt and the other outfits and shoes you made. Again, I wish I was out there so that I could watch you work your magic and then i could try my hand at it!! I love you and miss you and want your mad skills!

The Brandleys said...

Ok I am no where near as talented as you. I need to come visit you so you can teach my your amazing skills. I'd loveto learn to sew clothes! Oh and baby shoes. Especially baby shoes!

Ann said...

That's freakin amazing, Mim.

whitney allison said...

Well should you decide to sell them I'll take one of each. I'll come down for a fitting.

Quinn said...

Mim, you're too cute!! And you're super good! You've inspired me, but I don't think I'll make matching clothes for Franklin and myself (not untill I have a girl, but maybe I can do something for Franklin and Stephen).

M-Ware said...

can i get a wuh-wuh-wuh-wow. i have to say, i'm flattered FOR you to think you have a blog-stalker. maybe he/she could do the marketing for you. anyway, your sewing creations have sent me all a twitter. i've disliked target for a long time ($12 for a t-shirt? when are you gonna go on SALE already?) so this inspires me.

Sam and Heidi said...

yeah, um, hi, can I be you? geez, mim. you're amazing. I've seen pics of what em does too and I'm blown away. why can't i do that? sadly, my wonderful sewing machine has been used primarily for hemming and patching sam's work pants over the last couple of years. heidi

Shanna said...

YOu blow me away! I'll PAY you to make me some stuff!:) Those shirts are so sticken cute! Good work Mim!

Emily said...

Wow, so its snip snipping fabric out now, is it, like Eirene, my goodness! You are so talented! I love the little outfit for Ike it turned out so cute. Hey, speaking of reading, do you remember when you said you wanted to start a book club? You should do it!
:) Friends and family invited, it'd be fun! Have me over anytime to quilt again too, and maybe I can make a t-shirt with you--stretchy stuff scares me!
Emily

LeAnne said...

Sigh. I miss your posts. I love seeing your amazing skills at work. I hope you are doing well. :)

And I second, third, fourth...whatever the count is that you have amazing sewing skills. You are fabulous!