Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My passion

A couple years ago I realized that what I'm really passionate about isn't necessarily music, or dance, or sewing, or art or whatever, it's the act of expressing. I love to express. Myself. To create something unique, and call it me. I love to identify myself with something beautiful. So music is a medium I'm passionate about, because music moves you. Everyone can connect to a song. We've all heard a song at one point in our life that either changed us, or marked a moment, or even carried us. Or maybe even just pumped us up---made a good time, a great time. A song can help us identify our emotions, which so often are so hard to make sense of...when we hear a song...sometimes...it's like, that's it. Yeah. That's how I feel. Right there. Like when you're in love---or more often in my single life---lonely. Who hasn't heard that U2 ballad and been so depressed that we relished wallowing in our pathetic loneliness. Mmmm. Can't beat that.
Now dancing is all that, but...more. Dancing is music and movement together. And that's why it calls to me---beckons me, if you will.... because it is full body expressing, at it's height. It's everything you've got exploding in that leap and that song and that story. And it moves me.

I watched So You Think You Can Dance tonight. I realize by giving you the background of my musings, I run the risk of making it sound very trite. Alright, fine. Yeah, it's a tv show. But watching all that talent and art (choreography and dancing is such a beautiful form of art) it makes me pretty nostalgic. Nostalgic? Is that it? I don't know...romantic? Dreamy? Musing? Makes we want to write poetry? Or something like that. I know that may not make sense, but it probably does.

Sometimes when I'm driving or cleaning I imagine the songs I would sing on American Idol, and think of how Simon would really dig my creative arrangement and soul. Or I hear a song and choreograph a piece in my head that would win the respect of Mia Michaels. And I think I could do it, too. Yeah, you know...I could do it.

7 comments:

The Brandleys said...

Aaw I get that way all the time! But I also obviously did not take that path! But I can seriously say that dancing around the house with your baby and singing them songs is way more rewarding! But you already know that! Not to mention it's good to feel that way sometimes!

Super B said...

Oh you could totally do those things! I do imagine being on Amercan Idol and Simon loving me too.

Either way you are talented and beautiful and I am so excited to see you!

Aves said...

Mim, I can completely relate, I feel several of the same things ALL the time. Especially with music and singing. Reading your post was like, yea, that's totally me too. Except you could probably go on So You Think You Can Dance, and be amazing! I love to dance, but I'm not good enough or would need a lot of practice to get to that point! But you took a lot of the same words right out of my mouth!

Ann said...

Yeah, Mim. You need to get your happy little hiney on one of those shows. You would kick some serious trash.

M-Ware said...

"so u think" brings out so many emotions in me. mostly it brings out the emotion called "finally there is something on TV that is to me what sports is to most men" FINALLY. freak. now they just need to get some ballerinas on there and do some ballet numbers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mimmy,

Creation is marvelous, creating babies, :) molding those children, creating a clean house for five seconds, now when it comes to Mim creation, you have got some soul!! And some class, and the touch, and the moves! Get on w/ your bad self!! By the way, btw, Thanks for reading my reflections and new blog, and your comments, they meant alot, I had forgotten all about that highschool situation, and don't mind if I do, try it on for size!!t a lot! The one thing I want to create this summer...is a jar of tomatoes or jam!!

Love,
Emily

The Piersons said...

Just so you know I spent way to much time today watching so you think you can dance videos on youtube. Thanks for the tip. :)