Monday, October 1, 2007

1/2 mile swim. 3.2 miles run. 18 mile bike ride.






I'm awesome.

For the last four months Emily and I have been kicking our own trashes training for a triathlon. It was Emily's brilliant idea to begin with. Post babies, she thought it would give us a great excuse (and motivation) to get back in shape. She would think that, right? I readily agreed to do it with her. Allan confessed that in his heart of hearts, he thought it was a passing whim, and that I would never really do it.
Boy, was he wrong!! Ha Ha!!
So, it has been a lot of fun training (I really enjoyed the varied workouts, i.e. biking, swimming, running, strength training), and last Saturday we did it.

On an interesting side note, most of the summer we were planning to do the Ogden Triathlon, but in the end the $70 dollar entrance fee was too steep for us. So we made up our own! You didn't think that was possible, did you?? Well, it is my friends, it is. No need to be frightened away by expensive fees anymore! Thanks to Allan, Riley, and Google maps, we were able route out an identical course here in Provo. I must admit that my main sorrow about not doing an official one, was not getting a t-shirt. (Folks, let's be honest--you can't work your trash off all summer and then have nothing to show-off in the end...I mean, besides what you have to show-off for your husband) So, in order to heal my wound, I made us our own t-shirts. And I gotta say, they turned out pretty great. I drew the girls on the front, Emily drew the stick figures on the back, and then with the help from dafonts.com, paint.net, a wal-mart $2 special, and a good "crafternoon" with my sisters, we ended up with fairly cool shirts. Right??

The triathlon itself was great. Physically challenging of course, but both Em and I felt well-prepared. The hardest part about the whole thing was that it was ASTRONOMICALLY COLD. It was raining the entire time (except of course, when it was SNOWING), and by the time we finished we couldn't feel/wiggle our fingers or our toes. We were completely soaked through, literally. In a way it was kind of a bummer, but in another way it made it an even bigger accomplishment.

So seriously guys, we're awesome.

11 comments:

Super B said...

Mim, you are awesome! what an amazing thing you accomplished! You looked smokin hot when I saw you in July, so I bet you are super smokin' now! so, when I am done being pregnant and all that, can you train me?

Lacey said...

You are awesome indeed, and the shirt is a supreme work of art. You should try and sell those babies. Even people who have never heard of the Bounce Back Triathlon would want to buy them.
You're my new role model for getting in shape.

LeAnne said...

You rock.

Rob and Marseille said...

I love your shirts Mim!!! I seriously think you could market the front of the shirt. And, one of the ads on your blog I just had to click on because it was for a company that I modeled for when I was 5-6 years old!! It is Hanna Andersson and it is really expensive, but I just had to see their current stuff since I modeled for them 18 years ago!

M-Ware said...

first of all: triatha-WHAT? heather told me of this "fable" today during my lunch break and, while i did not disbelieve her because i know you've been speaking of such a thing AND a marathon for awhile now, i did not know you really....well....really made t-shirts for it!! hahahahah. no, really tho. i have so much to say about this. that is SO awesome that you shunned the steep fee and made your own free race. the girl on the front of the shirt - the preg one- is standing with what looks like turned out feet and i thought of you and our dancing days. and then what turned in to our running days. and now. loook at you. you've surpassed us all. you little jan munich, you. i am proud as a little punch and i wish i could have been there to cheer my guts out for you, cuz that's what i do when people run/swim/bike/walk races. i am a VERY good cheerleader. and that's the BEST part about running ANY race is cheering fans that pump you up. now go take off that shirt and do a little shimmy. i know you will.
ps - who won? let me guess: a tie...

M-Ware said...

pps -- have a good crafternoon!!! hahahahhaha!!! that's how i'm going to answer my office phone tomorrow. i hope you call.

Ann said...

MIM!!!

Ahhh! So dang cool! You guys are just so dang cool! Good for you! You guys both look great and your tee-shirts are darling! I would buy one if you sold them...Man...cool, cool, cool.

Miriam said...

I'll totally make you one, if you want. Spread the love, that's what I always say..

Marilee Leishman said...

Congrats! You did it! Love the shirts, I feel inspired. Well maybe not enough to do a tri, but I've been jogging with laya each mornin', It's still too hot(I have the opposite problem), but it should cool down soon.
Miss you! Wish we could have another playdate!

M-Ware said...

i'm embarrassed to say that i check your blog everyday just hoping something new will turn up. what did you do for your birthday! how's the singing and dancing library job going?

DIYdoctor said...

You Go, Girl(s)......

tm